Kids love to help assemble this. I use a rotisserie chicken from the store to simplify my life a bit. I figure any bit helps. An adult will have to debone the chicken. I pull off the meat and set it aside then chop it into bite size pieces for the pizza all at once. I take some of the leftover steamed carrots, frozen spinach and puree it up with some of the BBQ sauce just to sneak in some more goodness.
Hardware – pizza pan, spoon for spreading out the sauce, bowls to hold the toppings.
Software – Ready baked packaged whole wheat pizza crust, deboned “no salt added” rotisserie chicken, your family’s favorite BBQ sauce pumped up (see above to find out what I add to pump it up), fresh cilantro, mozarella cheese, cheddar cheese, garlic powder, caramelized onion or thinly sliced red onion (both optional)
Steps for kids to do:
- Wash your hands for 20 sec with soap. Read all directions and gather materials needed.
- Remove the crust from the packaging. Save the directions.
- Place crust on a pizza pan or cookie sheet.
- Preheat the oven (turn the oven on to bake and set the temperature to what the package says).
- Sprinkle garlic powder all over the crust, spread the pumped up BBQ sauce all over using the back of your spoon.
- Sprinkle chopped chicken all over
- Wash and chop the cilantro. If the kids are doing this then have them tear it up with their fingers or put a clean bunch into a plastic cup and let them cut into them using the kitchen scissors.
- Sprinkle the cilantro around
- Optional. Scatter onions around. Caramelizing them helps to take off the bite.
- Sprinkle on an even layer of cheesy goodness by mixing 1/3 mozarella to 2/3 cheddar mix.
- Slide it into a preheated oven and bake according to the packaging directions.
- Have an adult help you take it out of the oven.
- Congratulations, you have made a masterpiece. Enjoy!
This is so tasty that my family eats all of it for dinner and I have to make another one for lunch, so buy 2 crusts. Be the envy of all at the lunch table.